Saturday, July 28, 2012

July 28th, 2012 Saturday


Oakville

I left Oakville at 10:20 am on Friday July 26th, 2012 with my daughter Nisha, as she drove me to the airport. A compulsory Tim Horton’s coffee and a few minutes together was a wonderful way to start my trip and calm my excitement about going to Madagascar.


Then a flight to Montreal, just a puddle jump! Once in Montreal, it was an easy check in with a woman from Madagascar at the Air France desk. I took that as a good omen as she was not only from Madagascar but her home town was Toliara. She suggested specific areas to visit and was delighted that Lisa and I would go and help her people.  It was a heartwarming feeling and made me even more excited to get there.

Paris

Arriving in Paris was exhilarating. I love Paris- even if it is only the Charles de Gaulle airport. Arriving early was easy as no one was there and I breezed through security. At my gate I read and waiting anxiously for Lisa to arrive two hours later. Lisa arrived and we connected easily so our worries were over. At least now we were together to support and talk to each
Antananarivo, Madagascar
After 11 hours on our flight from Paris we arrived at 1am and were held up as each person on the flight was checked and double check and hand written and stamped three times and examined three times. All in all painfully slow and a beginning culturally to our transition from North American speed. Luckily, we were in no hurry so it was just a transit to our hotel to sleep and wait until tomorrow.

July 28, 2012 Saturday

Hotel Cheval Blanc

It was a freezing cold sleep around 13 degrees and a slow start today in Antananarivo.  We met Raquel Rodriguez from Andorra (La Massana). She is working with Bel Avenir, an NGO that works out of Toliara. She is a graduate and a teacher in Andorra.  We had a lovely lunch together and time to get acquainted.

Tolear- Toliara

The last leg of the trip was late leaving but we have arrived safely. Hotel Victory was having a huge party, a band dancing and great food. We liked to think that it was in our honor, but we were informed that it was a government function. Regardless, we were able to watch some dancing and hear music from the area. We also successfully got settled into our rooms and enjoyed local beer and pizza.

 
















 


4 comments:

  1. I just realized that the photos do not upload through wireless. I will add them tomorrow. Sweet dreams everyone.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb,
    This looks awesome! Can't wait to hear about your adventure! Enjoy every minute. Karen may-Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to post something! Imagine you doing that with your new baby and those busy nights! You would love it here. I look forward to seeing you when I return.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete